Family Sponsorship

You can sponsor family members to become Canadian permanent residents if:-

  • You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • You are 18 years of age or older
  • You are able to and responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives
  • You exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program
  • You live in Quebec; you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor

You may sponsor (conditions apply):-

  • Spouse/Common Law partner
  • Dependent children
  • Parents
  • Grandparents
  • Brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship

Spouse/Common Law partner Important Information:

  • You may sponsor your partner regardless of whether they are currently living inside (IN Canada application) or outside of Canada (Outside Canada Application)
  • Both the ‘sponsor’ as well as the ‘sponsored person’ must be approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in order for the sponsored person to receive a visa

NOTE: Canada recognizes same-sex marriage, and same-sex partners may be eligible to apply, provided they meet all eligibility requirements.

Effective December 22, 2014, eligible spouses or common-law partners have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed.

Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship

Parents and grandparents under Family Class category may receive Canadian Permanent Residency and may be able to apply for Canadian Citizenship four years thereafter.

As a sponsor, you must make sure your parent or grandparent does not need to seek social assistance from the government.

Notes: There is a cap of 10,000 applications, each year under this category

Dependent Child:

Effective October 24, 2017, Citizenship and Immigration Canada has changed its definition of a dependent child for its immigration programs. A dependent child must be under 21 years of age, instead of the previous limit of under 19 years of age.

If they live in Canada, they do not need to have legal status to be sponsored.

Contact West Port Immigration Inc, for free evaluation for any of the above mentioned category or for more detailed information.