Study Permit

Important information: “This process takes/consumes substantial time, so you should apply three to six months in advance of the session you wish to begin study in Canada.”

The Canadian Education System can be divided in following three categories:

  • Universities/College/Polytechnics
  • Language Schools
  • Primary/Secondary schools

Language Requirements: To qualify for admission most English-speaking schools ask for English examination test, such as TOEFL, IELTS or CAEL, or enrol in their own or partner school for ESL/English language program

Academic Year: The academic year usually runs from September to May. Some institutions have January and May intake

Steps to obtain first time study permit:

(A study permit is a written authorization issued by CIC allowing foreign nationals to study in Canada)

  • Select the program you wish to pursue
  • Determine which institution is the best fit for your field of study
  • Check the status of institution; it must be on the designated learning institutions list (DLI)
  • Get admission
  • Apply for a study permit and/or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Note: All primary and secondary schools in Canada automatically fall under designated List

To get Canada study permit

  • You must have acceptance letter from a designated learning institution
  • You must prove that you have enough funds pay for your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation to your home country
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay
  • No criminal record and not a threat to the security of Canada
  • You must provide additional documents requested by the Visa officer to establish your admissibility

Important: Children who are less than 17 years of age and studying in Canada without a parent or legal guardian must complete and include the Custodianship declaration with their study permit application

Working while study

Study permits will automatically authorize the student to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks, subject to CIC rules and regulations.

20 hours / week limit doesn’t apply if student works on campus while studying at an institution.

Working after Study Permit / Post graduation Work Permit

  • After successful completion of study, eligible students can get Post-Graduation work permit valid up to 3 years, depending on length of completed program
  • After completion of studies, students have 90 days to apply for Post-Graduation work permit. But they can legally work full time in this period of time while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application
  • A post-graduation work permit may help facilitate an application for Canadian Permanent Residency

Please contact us to Extend/Renew/Restore your study permit within Canada

Important information: A study permit becomes invalid 90 days after your study program has been completed. Your program is considered complete when you receive a notification of program completion from your school.

Why Canada; few facts:

The quality of education and living standards in Canada are amongst the highest in the world, the cost of living and tuition fees for international students are generally lower than in other countries

Canada’s institutions are equipped with the latest in sophisticated technology and modern amenities and known for high quality and internationally accepted degrees. The Canadian campus life offers enormous possibilities and opportunities to for learning, leisure and gain valuable experience through student-run governments, radio, newspapers and businesses.

Research is one of the key components of Canadian educational institutions; students will have opportunity to become a part of this aspect of education. Some of the public-private supported research sectors are telecommunications, medicine, agriculture, computer technology, and environmental science.

International student in Canada will enjoy living in one of the best places in the world and Canadians’ friendly and open nature.

International students with Canadian credentials and Canadian work experience may apply for permanent residency.

International students can work up to 20 hours per week during their studies and 40 hours per week during vacation.

Scholarships may available for the brightest students and researchers to study and conduct research in Canada.